Reopening of The National Museum of Nature and Science, Ueno district
The National Museum of Nature and Science had been closed since February 29, 2020, and we have reopened since June 1 as a result of the end of the State of Emergency. For the reopening, admission to the museum is only possible when you have advanced bookings.
Please check our preventive measures and limitations before booking.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
We would also appreciate your understanding that the museum might be closed without prior notice under certain circumstances.
Please be advised
- Please refrain from visiting the museum if you have;
・ A fever over 37.5 ℃.
・ Cold-like symptoms; coughing, sneezing, running nose and pharyngitis.
- We will measure your temperature and ask your physical condition before entry. If you have a fever or symptoms above, we will decline your entry.
※We may ask you to leave the museum if you have such symptoms of cold as intense coughing.
- Please ensure that you wear a face mask and cover your cough.
- Please do not speak loudly or yell and keep quiet during your visit.
- Please wash your hands regularly.
- Please use e-money, credit cards or e-tickets at the time of payments if at all possible.
- Please keep social distance from other people during your visit.
- You cannot re-entry for the time being.
- We do not accept groups for the time being.
Suspended exhibits and services
- ComPaSS –Exploration area for families with children- (on 3rd floor of Global Gallery)
- Foucault pendulum (on B1 floor of Japan Gallery)
- Some of Hands-on objects in both Japan Gallery and Global Gallery.
- Information terminals (Kiosks)
- Floor guide and “Touch and Talk Wagon” by volunteers
- Lending audio guide devices including Kahaku Navi and IC Cards. Sales of worksheets.
- Study programs and events such as “Nighttime Astronomical Observation”. (Details will be updated on the event calendar on our website.)
- Development of Aviation Technology has been closed from July 21 2020.
- More than half of the exhibition on the first floor of the Global Gallery has been closed from November 5, 2020 to Early March, 2021.
Other measures for the prevention of infection
- We reduced the number of tables and chairs in restaurant, cafeteria and lounge.
- Reopening of restaurant will be updated later.
- The number of items on sale at the museum shop are reduced. We will distribute numbered tickets to restrict the entry when the shop is too crowded.
- Some of the toilets and the smoking areas are closed for the purpose of the thorough cleaning of the museum facilities.
- We will not open at night (5:00pm to 8:00pm on Fridays and Saturdays) for the time being.
However, we will close at 6:00pm on the following days
・ Fridays and Saturdays until the end of March 2021.
- Barriers are placed to prevent the virus spread at information desks. Staff are wearing face shields or face masks when serving the visitors.
- The THEATER 36〇’s capacity is limited to 20people each time for the time being.