Profile and History of NMNS
History
October 1871 Establishment of Exhibition Hall in Yushima Seido as part of observational facilities of Museum Division, Ministry of Education.
March 1872 Initial opening of an exhibition under the name of Ministry of Education Museum.
April 1875 Renamed to Tokyo Museum.
January 1877 Completion of one section of a new building on site of Nishiyonkenji Temple in Ueno (site of present Tokyo University of the Arts). Renamed from Tokyo Museum to Museum of Education. (This year considered to be official year of establishment).
April 1877 Transfer of Koishikawa Garden to The University of Tokyo.
July 1881 Renamed to Tokyo Education Museum.
July 1889 Annexed to Higher Normal School with transfer to Yushima Seido building adjoining Higher Normal School.
June 1914 Became independent of Tokyo Higher Normal School as Tokyo Education Museum.
June 1921 Renamed to Tokyo Museum.
September 1923 Destruction of all facilities and specimens in Great Kanto Earthquake.
February 1931 Renamed to Tokyo Science Museum.
September 1931 Completion of new facilities in Ueno (present Japan Gallery).
November 1931 Opening ceremony for new facility with attendance by Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress. (November 2 established as Museum Opening Commemoration Day).
June 1949 Establishment of National Science Museum according to Ministry of Education Establishment Act. Establishment of General Affairs Department and Arts & Sciences Department.
January 1953 Reorganization of Arts & Sciences Department into Operations Department and Arts & Sciences Department.
April 1962 With partial reform of Ministry of Education Establishment Act, research organization strengthened by adding function of Science of Natural History Research Center. Arts & Sciences Department reorganized as 1st Research Department and 2nd Research Department with establishment of Polar Science Division. National Nature Education Garden in Shirokane annexed to museum, establishing Institute for Nature Study.
April 1965 Reorganization of Polar Science Division as Polar Research Department.
April 1966 Reorganization of 1st Research Department and 2nd Research Department as Department of Zoology, Department of Botany, Department of Geology, and Department of Science and Engineering.
April 1970 Reorganization of Polar Research Department as Polar Research Center.
March 1972 Completion of new facilities in Shinjuku District.
April 1972 Transfer of science of natural history research departments to Shinjuku District.
May 1972 Establishment of Anthropological Research Division.
September 1973 With reform of National School Establishment Act, Polar Research Center became independent as National Institute of Polar Research.
April 1974 Reorganization of Anthropological Research Division as Department of Anthropology.
April 1975 Reorganization of Department of Science and Engineering as Department of Science and Chemistry and Department of Engineering.
May 1976 Establishment of Tsukuba Botanical Garden in Tsukuba District.
December 1976 Completion of Management Wing of Tsukuba Botanical Garden.
November 1977 Ceremony to commemorate Museum's 100th anniversary, with attendance by His Majesty the Emperor.
October 1983 Opening of Tsukuba Botanical Garden.
May 1985 Opening of Discovery Plaza.
January 1986 Start of Educational Volunteer System.
April 1988 Reorganization of Department of Sciences and Chemistry and Department of Engineering as Department of Science and Engineering.
June 1993 Completion of Showa Memorial Institute in Tsukuba District.
February 1994 Transfer of Department of Science and Engineering to Shinjuku District.
October 1995 Transfer of Department of Botany from Shinjuku District to Tsukuba.
April 1999 Opening of Permanent Exhibition in New Building (1st phase) (present Global Gallery).
April 2001 Became Independent Administrative Institution National Science Museum.
June 2002 Establishment of Center of the History of Japanese Industrial Technology.
November 2004 Grand opening of New Building (present Global Gallery).
July 2006 Establishment of Collection Center and Center for Molecular Biodiversity Research.
December 2006 Opening of Theater 36Ο Renamed each building to Global Gallery and Japan Gallery.
April 2007 Opening of Japan Gallery. Renamed English name. Adopting new symbol, logo and motto.
June 2008 Japan Gallery designated as a national important cultural property.
March 2011 Completion of Natural History Collection Wing in Tsukuba District.
April 2011 Completion of Research Wing in Tsukuba District.
April 2012 Transfer of Shinjuku District facilities and the Center of the History of Japanese Industrial Technology to Tsukuba District.
November2012 Opening of the Open Space on the 1st floor at the Natural History Collection Wing, Tsukuba District.